This summer I published five of my iBook textbooks to the iBook Store. Since then I have gotten some questions on how to do this after your iBook is finished. The main hurdle for non-American writers is that you need to fill in a fax a form to the US. It takes a couple of weeks for this to be processed so it’s best to do it first. If your books are free you can skip this first step as you will not have to deal with the US Tax authorities.
1. Fill out this form and fax it to:
Internal Revenue Service Center
Attn: EIN International Operation
Cincinnati, OH 45999
The purpose of this is to get an Employer Identification Number which you will need to enter in the next step. You will need the EIN so that you can tell Apple not to withhold taxes for sales in the US so that you can choose to declare your sales revenue in your own country and be taxed at your own local rate.
I used the fax machine at my school but you could also sign up for a free hello fax trial account. It will take a couple of weeks for the IRS to process this.
2. Sign up for a Free or Paid Books Account. You can sign up during the publishing process (after you click Publish in iBooks Author).
Free Books Account: If you are going to offer only books for free, create a Free Books Account. If you create a Free Books Account and decide to sell books, you need to create a Paid Books Account.
Paid Books Account: To sell books on the iBooks Store, you need a Paid Books Account (you can still offer books for free if you like). With a Paid Books Account, you need to provide banking and tax information so that you can receive payments for the books you sell on the iBooks Store. After you create your Paid Books Account, sign in and activate your contract.
3. Verify your email adres and then follow all of the steps and fill in all of the information that is asked from you. If you’re registered as a company, enter the company’s legal entity name. If you’re signing up as an individual, enter your first and last name. The legal entity name you enter on your application must match the name associated with your U.S. Tax ID and Tax ID type (such as SSN, ITIN, or EIN).This will then have to be verified by apple which will take a couple of days.
4. When your application to distribute Book content on the iBooks Store has been approved you will get an email and you can sign in on iTunes Connect. Here you will first need to sign an agreement, add bank info and view tax info.
5. Download and install iTunes Producer from the resources page within iTunes Connect.
6. Now you can go back to iBooks Author and press the publish button. Log in with your Apple ID. After you have followed the steps it will load your book into iTunes Producer.
7. Fill in all the information about your book. For a detailed explanation of all of the boxes that can be filled in have a look at the explanation made by the guys from Book Creator app.